At first this project had me searching for ideas on what to do for curtains/drapes. The wall of two-story windows definitely needed something, but I wasn’t sure if it should be all the way up, or mid-way, etc. After searching around Pinterest, I found some ideas that I really liked. The next challenge was fabric & curtain rods. The space across the three center windows 126″ wide. Have you priced out curtain rods for this size? Eeek! $65 & up for ONE curtain rod. So, more searching around, and I came to this blog. I knew that was exactly what I was looking for. A trip to the hardware store, some flat black spray paint, and a piper cutter, and we were in business. I did have trouble finding the brackets for mounting, but I ordered them on good ole’ Amazon.com. Curtains themselves were another story. Erik really wanted to stripes to add more dimension to the space, and we did indeed find some. They were $60 per panel. We needed six panels. Um, yeah…. no.. The search continued. I’d explored the idea of buying fabric to make them, and even using shower curtains. Only issue, was that I needed them longer than standard shower curtains. After lots of searching both stores & online, I finally found these. The color was exactly what I was looking for.
Totals for the windows;
Curtain Rods: $1.87/10ft Conduit Pipe = $5.61
Pipe Cutter: $4
Mounting Brackets: $16
Curtains: $9.99/panel = $59.94
Black Spray Paint: $6
Grand Total: $91.55
For less than $100, I was able to accomplish exactly what we wanted for the our family room. Added texture, color, and a way to block out light at certain times when there was a glare on the television. Marking this one down as a success!